Mold is everywhere. Mold spores can grow both outdoors and indoors all year round. They are fungi with seeds called ‘spores’ that travel through air. Some spores spread in dry, windy weather while others spread with fog or dew when the humidity is high. Mold spores count is highest at night, especially when it’s foggy, damp or rainy.
Upsetting these mold spores send them into the air, triggering an allergic reaction in people who have an allergy to mold.
While there are many different types of molds, only few dozen can cause allergic reactions like alternaria, aspergillus, cladosporium and penicillium. These allergy-triggering molds can be found outdoors as well as indoors. These molds can grow on,
Mold allergy symptoms vary from person to person and range from mild to severe. The symptoms of mold allergy are very similar to the symptoms of other allergies.
A person allergic to mold will experience one or more of the following symptoms when they come in contact with the allergen
Outdoor mold allergy may be experienced in summer and fall (or year-round in some climates)
Indoor mold allergy, on the other hand, can be experienced year-round.
When an allergic person is exposed to mold, it normally triggers symptoms of hay fever which, while miserable, isn’t that serious. However, in some cases, the allergic reactions to mold can be more severe and include
Exposure to mold spores can aggravate asthmatic symptoms in people who already have asthma and are allergic to mold. In some people, exposure to certain kinds of mold can also lead to an asthma attack.
This symptom is a result of an inflammatory reaction to fungus in the sinuses.
This symptom is a reaction to fungus in the lungs and can occur in people with asthma or cystic fibrosis.
In some very rare cases, exposure to airborne mold spores can lead to inflammation of the lungs. This may be triggered by vulnerability to allergy-causing dust at work.
Like all other allergies, mold allergy symptoms are caused when a person’s over-sensitive immune system is triggered.
When you inhale tiny spores of mold, your immune system falsely considers them to be foreign invaders and reacts to them, creating antibodies to fight these invaders. Even when the exposure has passed, the body keeps producing these antibodies to fight with the mold spores in it were to come in contact with them later.
This process triggers release of a substance called histamines. Allergic reactions are caused due to these histamines.
These are number of factors that can lead to a development or (in case of presence of mold allergy) aggravation of mold allergy symptoms
To diagnose a mold allergy, the doctor will conduct the following tests -
There is no mold allergy cure. The best way to stay allergy free is by avoiding mold spores. Although it is difficult to outrun mold, you can stick to the following home remedies to prevent your exposure to them
When you are venturing outside, ensure your follow the following steps to avoid mold
It may not always possible to reduce or remove mold from your environment, in which case it becomes necessary to take medications. You can, in consultation with your doctor, consume the following medicine
The best way to reduce mold allergy is by preventing it. The lesser your exposure to mold spores, the lesser and less severe the allergic reactions to them. You can follow a number of home remedies and other prevention tips stated above.
If you experience any allergic symptoms in damp, humid environment, it is quite likely that you might have a mold allergy.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for mold allergy. The only way to treat mold allergy is by preventing it and easing the symptoms of allergy once an allergic reaction has been triggered. It is best to consult with your doctor to understand what works best in your case.
You can follow a number of steps to reduce mold in your kitchen like
You can follow these steps to eliminate mold from your bathroom
Exposure to mold can trigger allergic reactions in people suffering from a mold allergy and it can cause side effects like nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, irritated eyes, coughing, wheezing, itchy throat and/or dry, scaly skin.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for allergies. However, some medications can ease symptoms like antihistamines, nasal sprays, oral decongestants, etc. However, it is advised to consult with your doctor before consuming these medicines.
Long exposure to mold might be bad to everyone’s health but not everyone is allergic to mold.