Outdoor Mold Allergy

Molds are everywhere. They are fungi that usually grow on dead leaves, wet logs or in the field of uncut grass or weed. These molds can produce spores that are even smaller than pollen and are a less potent allergen, but large amounts can lead to a hypersensitive reaction. If a hiker or trekker is allergic to mold, it can be quite upsetting, but not deterring though!

Mold spores can grow both outdoors and indoors all year round. During spring and autumn, large amount of mold spores can be found in the air. Mold spores count is highest at night, especially when it’s foggy, damp or rainy.

Triggers

As stated earlier, majority of molds can be found in common damp places. Disturbing the mold source will send mold spores into the air. Encountering such mold spores can cause an allergic reaction.

Mold Allergy Symptoms

Mold allergy symptoms vary from person to person and range from mild to severe. The symptoms are nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, irritated eyes, coughing and itchy throat. Mold allergy can also, sometimes, trigger or intensify asthma symptoms.

How to Treat Mold Allergy

Avoid going through places that can have high mold counts, such as a pile of dead leaves, damp areas, greenhouses and uncut fields among others. Wear a dust mask when you’re out on a trek or going backpacking in the jungle. Keep your backyard and surroundings clean and dry as they are breeding grounds for mold. Avoid going out at night, especially during rainy season.

Molds on Dead Leaves, Grass or Weed